Just because you run your own business, does not give you an excuse to put off taking care of your dental health. Here are five things you should know about your dental health:
1. Fluoride should be part of your daily routine. Make sure you drink water with fluoride and brush with fluoridated toothpaste to maintain a healthy smile. The CDC has recognized water fluoridation as one of 10 great public health achievements of the 20th century.
2. If your eyes are the window to your soul, your mouth could be the window to your health. A simple dental exam performed by your dentist can be first line of defense in disease detection. In fact, 120 diseases can be detected in and around the mouth before other symptoms become visible. Find out your dental health risk.
3. The battle against plaque can be won! Dental disease is almost 100% preventable. With basic care, like brushing twice a day for at least two minutes, flossing daily, and going to the dentist regularly, you can reduce your risk of tooth decay.
4. Visit your dentist or dental hygienist regularly for professional cleanings and exams.1 Don’t ignore tender gums, sensitive teeth, or other mouth problems. They can become serious if left untreated.2
5. Dental insurance is easy and affordable. People with dental insurance are twice as likely to visit the dentist and follow their dentists’ recommended treatment plans. Find out how you can cover your smile by contacting your local insurance agent or carrier for a dental insurance plan right for you and your family.
1 “Cleaning Your Teeth and Gums.” American Dental Association. www.ada.org/2624.aspx Accessed 2010.
2 “Periodontal (Gum) Disease: Causes, Symptoms, and Treatments.” National Institute of Dental and Craniofacial Research, July 2008. www.nidcr.nih.gov/oralhealth/topics/gumdiseases/periodontalgumdisease.htm Accessed 2010.