You know the drill for the holidays: fight tooth and nail through the crowds to buy all your gifts, slave over a hot stove to make a family dinner, and top it all off with one sugar-coma inducing pecan pie.
Now, I am not usually one to mess with tradition but who knows, maybe you can start a new tradition. Why not skip that sweet pecan pie and finish off the holidays with this guilt-free dessert instead!
This pie is the perfect way to satisfy your holiday sweet tooth without doing too much damage to your teeth or your waistline. With a dose of pumpkin and some low-fat dairy, it’s a definite nutritional improvement over most traditional pies.
Frozen Pumpkin Mousse Pie
- 2 1/2 cups broken gingersnap cookies
- 2 T vegetable oil
- 1/3 cup plus 2 T light brown sugar
- 1 cup canned pumpkin puree
- 1 tsp pure vanilla extract
- 3/4 tsp pumpkin pie spice
- 1 quart low-fat vanilla frozen yogurt, softened
- Low-fat whipped cream (optional)
- Combine cookies, oil and 2 T brown sugar. Crush together or combine in a food processor until you have fine crumbs. Press the crumbs into the bottom and sides of a 9” pie plate to form a crust. Bake at 350 degrees for 10-15 minutes; let cool.
- Mix the pumpkin puree, vanilla, spice and remaining 1/3 cup brown sugar together and then stir in the frozen yogurt. Spread mixture into the cooled crust and freeze about three hours or until firm.
- Top with low-fat whipped cream before you serve, if desired.