Relax is a word being chased from our vocabulary by the ever-changing world. We are in such a rush to get through life that we often stress ourselves out when we fall behind the crowd. Unfortunately, the rush of the hustle and bustle can have extremely negative effects on your mouth.
It is common for parents to be diagnosed with teeth grinding and clenching. With the stress of taking care of a household, your body could be taking the stress out on your teeth. Bruxism, as teeth grinding is officially called, is the clenching of your jaw during sleep. It can cause jaw problems, ground down teeth and sleepless nights.
To help combat this oral health disaster, here is 5 ways to help reduce your stress and your pain.
1) Go for an early morning walk – Exercise and nature do wonders for relieving stress.
2) Get a hobby – Get crafty and find a hobby you enjoy to help your mind think about something else besides work and your to-do list.
3) Practice meditation – Centering your body with stretches and breathing techniques help melt away the stress.
4) Start a stress journal – document your triggers, what your reaction is and the outcome. You may find you stress out unnecessarily.
5) Rediscover your sense of humor – Read a funny book, watch a TV sitcom or tell jokes with your family. A sense of humor will get you a long way when you are stressed out!
There are many ways to help reduce your stress…the trick is fitting it into your schedule. Make this a priority, and get back to having a good night sleep without giving your jaw a workout!