College is a time in your life when you feel free and independent.
You may be up all night studying or partying…or both. But it’s still important to get enough sleep, eat right and take care of your teeth.
Here are some tips for heading off to college with a smile:
• Visit the dentist before you start college. Make sure your teeth and gums are in tip-top shape before you leave home. And visit the dentist regularly when you’re on breaks.
• Brush and floss regularly. Sure, it’s a no-brainer, but sometimes people don’t take the time they need to care for their teeth and gums. If you don’t, you’re at risk for cavities and gum disease.
• Watch your alcohol intake. Too much alcohol can give you bad breath. And it can prevent you from taking the care you need to keep your mouth and gums healthy.
• Eat a diet rich in fruit and vegetables. Sure, you may want to reach for that cookie or energy drink to give you an extra boost at midnight as you’re struggling to finish your paper. But that extra sugar means you’re at risk for cavities because it can stick like a magnet to the plaque on your teeth.
• Sleep. It’s important. And don’t forget to brush your teeth at bedtime. A relaxing routine that includes brushing and flossing lets your body know it’s time for sleep.
• Stay covered. You may still be covered by your parents’ dental plan, but if you aren’t, you can find individual plans at deltadentalcoversme.com.
College life is fun and exciting. But take care of yourself. Your mom would want you to.