A joke, a kind word, even a smile of your own can bring a grin to someone’s face. Since smiling has been proven to extend life and improve moods, why not share that gift with someone else today. To get you started, here are 20 ways to make someone smile:
1. Bring healthy treats to work.
2. Let someone cut in during rush hour traffic. (I know… that’s a hard one.)
3. Let a person know you really appreciate them.
4. Visit a retirement center.
5. Fill up your spouse’s car with gas.
6. Leave a thank-you note for the cleaning staff at work.
7. Put a quarter in a stranger’s parking meter before the time expires.
8. Bake a cake for a neighbor.
9. Donate clothing to a charity.
10. Give blood.
11. Offer free babysitting to a friend who’s really busy or just needs a break.
12. Help your neighbor plant a garden.
13. Ask to see a store’s manager and comment on the great service.
14. Wave to a child in the car next to you.
15. Ask someone if they need you to pick up anything while you’re out shopping.
16. Ask a child to play a board game and let him or her win.
17. Ask an elderly person to tell you about the good old days and listen!
18. Dance with someone who hasn’t been asked.
19. Figure out someone’s half-birthday and surprise him or her with a cake.
20. Smile yourself.
You can even make it into a game and complete one task a day! And it’s not just for that other person. Helping someone else makes you feel good, too. So make someone smile today!