For many Coloradans, a healthy lifestyle is a top priority. Luckily, healthy eating is abundant here in the Centennial State. With plenty of locally sourced food in our supermarkets and no shortage of easy, healthy recipes, it’s no wonder Colorado is least obese, most physically active state in the nation.
If you’re constantly on the lookout for recipes that will shake up your diet without compromising your oral health, here are a few vegetarian (and vegan) dishes that might appeal to your appetite:
Tequila Tempeh (Vegan)
Tempeh is a fermented soy product that’s popularly used as a vegetarian meat replacement. Tempeh is rich in many nutrients and is high in protein, so it will keep you full. Not only does it provide key nutrients, soy possesses antioxidant properties that could be beneficial in decreasing oxidative stress and chronic disease. Let us know what you think of our healthy, easy tequila tempeh recipe!
- 8 oz. 5-grain tempeh
- 1/4 cup lite olive oil
- 1/4 cup rice vinegar
- 1 teaspoon ground red chili pepper
- 1/4 cup tequila
- 2 teaspoons lime juice or lemon juice
- 3 cloves minced garlic
- Mix all the ingredients except tempeh.
- Slice tempeh into thin cubes and place in the marinade for at least two hours.
- Skewer and barbeque with veggies or sauté in a skillet with a little oil.
Avocado Veggie Tacos (Vegetarian)
Avocados have quickly become one of the most popular foods across America, especially in Colorado. Researchers found that extracts from Hass avocados can stop the growth of pre-cancerous cells that lead to oral cancer. Since avocado has such amazing health benefits, try out some new recipes to use avocado in ways you may not have tried! Like our recipe for healthy and delicious Avocado Veggie Tacos:
- 1 medium avocado
- 1 1/4 cups julienned onions
- 1 1/2 cups julienned sweet green peppers
- 1 1/2 cups julienned sweet red peppers
- 1 cup cilantro
- 1 1/2 cups fresh salsa
- 12 8-inch flour tortillas
- Nonstick cooking spray (as needed)
- Spray skillet with nonstick cooking spray.
- Lightly sauté the onion and green and red peppers.
- Mince cilantro, avocado slices.
- Put two large spoonfuls of vegetable mix on tortillas.
- Fold over and serve.
Now, soak up the Colorado sun, smile, and enjoy the fresh air (and food).
To find a farmers’ market in your area, click here!
Looking for more on oral health and nutrition? Check out: