As the weather gets chillier, we’re often left wanting a warm, comforting treat. A lot of traditional baked goods can contain very high amounts of sugar, which of course is not ideal for our dental health.
If you’re searching for a tooth-friendly fall dessert, look no further than this apple crisp recipe!
With the sweetness coming mainly from brown sugar and dried cranberries, both your teeth and tastebuds will thank you. Follow along below and get ready to enjoy a yummy seasonal dessert.
Yields: 8 Servings
What you’ll need:
- 3 Large Empire, Jonagold, Gala, or Granny Smith Apples, cored and sliced into 1/4” wedges
- ½ C Dried cranberries
- 3 Tbsp Frozen apple juice concentrate
- 1 Tbsp granulated sugar
- 3/4 C Old fashioned rolled oats
- 1/3 C Whole grain pastry flour
- 1/4 C Packed dark brown sugar
- 3 Tbsp Chilled butter, cut into small pieces
- 1/4 tsp Salt
- 1/4 tsp Ground allspice
Tip: Dried fruits act as a natural sweetener to baked goods, while also offering the nutritional benefits of vitamins, minerals, and fiber.
- Preheat oven to 425ºF. Coat 9” x 9” baking dish with cooking spray.
- In a large bowl, mix the apples, cranberries, apple juice concentrate, and granulated sugar. Place in prepared baking dish.
- In a medium bowl, combine the oats, flour, brown sugar, butter, salt, and allspice. Mix with your fingers to form crumbs. Sprinkle over the apple mixture.
- Cover with foil and bake for 20 minutes, or until the mixture is bubbly and the apples are tender. Uncover and bake for 5-10 minutes, or until the topping is lightly browned. Cool on a rack for at least 10 minutes before serving.
Looking for more recipes that are better for your health? Click HERE.