For many Coloradans, a healthy lifestyle is a top priority. Luckily, healthy eating is abundant here in the Centennial State. With plenty of locally sourced food in our supermarkets and restaurants, there’s no wonder Colorado is a national hub of food-conscious consumers and businesses.
If you’re constantly on the lookout for recipes that will shake up your diet without compromising your oral health, here are a few vegetarian (and vegan) dishes that might appeal to your appetite:
TEQUILA TEMPEH (VEGAN)
- 8 oz. 5-grain tempeh
- 1/4 cup lite olive oil
- 1/4 cup rice vinegar
- 1 teaspoon ground red chili pepper
- 1/4 cup tequila
- 2 teaspoons lime juice or lemon juice
- 3 cloves minced garlic
- Mix all the ingredients except tempeh.
- Slice tempeh into thin cubes and place in the marinade for at least 2 hours.
- Skewer and barbeque with veggies or sauté in a skillet with a little oil.
AVOCADO VEGGIE TACOS (VEGETARIAN)
- 1 medium avocado
- 1 1/4 cups julienned onions
- 1 1/2 cups sweet green peppers, julienned
- 1 1/2 cups sweet red peppers, julienned
- 1 cup cilantro
- 1 1/2 cups fresh salsa
- 12 8-inch flour tortillas
- Nonstick cooking spray (as needed)
- Spray skillet with nonstick cooking spray.
- Lightly sauté the onion and green and red peppers.
- Mince cilantro, avocado slices.
- Put 2 large spoonfuls on tortillas.
- Fold over and serve.
Looking for more local Colorado recipes? Check out this blog:
*Updated December 2020