Caramel is sticky, chewy and gets stuck to teeth easily. Opt for an alternative dipped apple made with chocolate to avoid the cavity-causing bacteria that the caramel will leave behind. Try this scary-delicious Halloween chocolate apple recipe:
The Base: Chocolate Dipped Apple
Chocolate is delicious and better for your teeth than caramel. Unlike the sticky counterpart, chocolate does not stick to teeth and is easily washed away by saliva. Use this base recipe to dip your apples, and top with one of the topping variations.
- 2 cups bittersweet chocolate chips
- 6 small to medium apples, washed and completely dried, then chilled
- 6 popsicle sticks (substitute for kebab skewers or paper straws)
Chocolate Dipped Apple Toppings:
- Crushed nuts
- Unsweetened coconut flakes
- Sugar-free granola
- Melted nut butter
- Crushed pretzels
- In a small, microwavable bowl, melt the chocolate slowly in the microwave.
- Pierce your apples in the center with the popsicle sticks.
- Dip the bottom half of the apple in the melted chocolate. Turn to cover the entire fruit.
- Top your apple [see Chocolate Dipped Apple Toppings for variations].
- Place the finished apple on a parchment-lined cooking sheet.
- Refrigerate for at least 30 minutes before serving.
Enjoy these Halloween chocolate apple treats — even your dentist would approve!